Each day, thousands, if not millions of thoughts, cross our minds. Every waking moment is chock full of ideas, lists, to-dos, regrets, conversations that have happened or that need to take place soon, where to go, what to eat, who to call………whew- and that’s only the tip of the iceberg!
If we took an inventory of our thoughts we would find that we spend way too much time “in our heads” with endless mind chatter and clutter. Most of it is useless because it’s in the past and cannot be changed no matter how often or hard we think about it. Finding solutions now to situations of the past won’t help due to the fact that you can’t go back and change things. Stop repeating history in your head! Our best lesson is to learn from the past and do things differently, if we choose, should the same or similar situation arise. Like it or not folks, it’s “onwards and upwards.” If you want half a chance to be productive in life you need to make peace with the past, make “NOW” awesome, and take action for an even better future!
One major obstacle is the incredible amount of negativity, fear and self-doubt that we have been bombarded with over the years whether it be conscious or subconscious. It’s all around us each and every day from several different directions. It seems virtually impossible to get away from it. We almost absent-mindedly get swept up into it and then find ourselves feeling little, weak and incomplete due to the impossibility of measuring up to unrealistic and unattainable standards or ideas. We are human, not robots.
So where do YOU fit in to all of this? Where do you find your peace, your confidence, your success? Do you leave that up to society and your environment? Do you blindly follow the status quo or do you realize that you deserve so much more?
Here are some suggestions to take control of your mind and thoughts for your highest and best use:
SHIFT YOUR FOCUS
- It has been said “Energy flows where focus goes.” What thoughts are occupying your space?
- So, What Are You THINKING? Is it constructive or destructive?
- Is what you think “In your own voice?” or is it someone elses view or expectation of you?
- Remember the famous quote: “Whether you think you can, or think you can’t, you’re right!”
- What is it that you truly believe that you can do or accomplish?
- Set your sails to that and start in that direction. As with anything you may have to adjust your sails to course correct – it’s okay because it’s all a part of the journey and process of getting you to your destination.
- Yes, there is plenty to do yet you are 1 person and Rome wasn’t built in a day, remember?
- How can you break down the whole goal into smaller actionable steps that are comfortable for you?
- Be patient with yourself and chart out a step by step course in an attainable sequence.
- Add in checkpoints for your progress and see if you need to reassess, push forward or take a break to build up your strength (of body AND mind) before continuing forward.
What Problem has you stuck right now? Can you see it as a situation with a solution rather than a problem? How can you turn your perception and perspective of it around in your best interest rather than be imprisoned by the thought of being stuck in it forever?
Most times we procrastinate and say “I’ll do it tomorrow.” That means tomorrow doesn’t start with a clean slate if things are endlessly added to it as a scapegoat or catch-all for what you did not do/say and things that were cleverly avoided yesterday. There are only so many hours in a day. Avoidance today does not buy you extra time tomorrow- quite the contrary- it steals your tomorrow of peace since the same undone task or topic keeps popping-up.
So, what is your CHOICE, right here and NOW to put things into a better perspective for you and have your thoughts and ideas work FOR you, not against you? What is the next right step/action that you need to take that will move you in a forward direction? You are smack dab in the middle of your life. If you take a step back and be completely honest with yourself you WILL know how to organize your thoughts into a productive pace that can set you free from the brain storm going on in your head.
Of course it’s easier said than done only because you’ve been under the conditioning of old habits. Are you ready to use your BRAIN POWER to create new habits of success and happiness?
Are your thoughts holding you hostage or are you in control of the productivity, expansion, and enjoyment of YOUR life?
Think about THAT!
And remember…It’s all in your mind!
Thank you for reading,